The Heralds, they are a-changin'

The Western Herald is one the ideological parents of this blog, the other being Dagoo's Tales of War. From the fall of '09 to this spring, I wrote for the Herald's weekly entertainment section, the Weekend Scene. Guess what the columns were about?

I've also worked at the Herald as an ad designer and copy editor, so I have first-hand experience with these recent events. The Herald's web presence definitely has room to grow, and grow it shall, with the reduction in print publication and a renewed focus on web services.

The Herald is by and for students, and students are the most internet-savvy people out there. While an online division of the paper may seem like a no-brainer this day in age, the website has been around for a while. But the Herald is looking to bring campus news to students through the web, instead of "reprinting" what ran in the paper version.

I, for one, welcome our new webmaster overlords. When fall classes start up again, I hope the Herald still has room for my services (translation: I'll need a job). This new web focus brings up a whole slew of possibilities for a designer such as myself. I work in an industry that balances print and digital media, after all.

While my web design skills are amateurish at best, I'd love to be able to help out Herald make this leap forward. I plan on continuing the print column this fall, so who knows where things will go from there? Getting paid to write Western Herald-exclusive video game web content? Maybe this site and the Herald will merge into some kind of SkyNet of news and entertainment for college students?

Especially this day in age, newspapers are like sharks: they must move forward to survive. It is my firm belief that the Western Herald can and will become a streamlined, vicious apex of predatory evolution...

Crap. Ruined another prefectly good similie.

'Til next time, keep your heads in the Game.

1 Comment:

PinkPutty said...

So you're posting stuff from Carolina or wherever the hell you are? AWESOME!

Post a Comment

Recent Posts