While You Were Out...

Most people grow up and move out of their parents' house. I'm at an awkward stage where I live at home while attending college. This internship of mine, 1,000 miles away from home, is a little taste of that, with one difference.

I don't have my stuff!

My decision not to haul my Xbox 360 down from Michigan to South Carolina has, so far, been proven correct. My apartment came with a standard def TV and road-construction-in-Michigan slow internet.

You may remember all that talk I spouted a few months back about reconnecting with my old Nintendo 64? Turns out the second honeymoon wasn't as great as I'd thought it would be. The new games were either impossibly hard or unappealing after beating them. The only fun that remained was with the favorites. All guns, invincibility, infinite ammo in "Goldeneye 007" is still the way to go. I'm saving up "Perfect Dark" action 'til fall.

There are games on my Xbox 360 that I'd love to have with me here, even if it was just one at a time. Well, maybe just "Fallout 3" and "FarCry 2". Can't include "Left4Dead" in this desert island scenario. I love the whole library, but most of the games have been played to death. But, I still have a little more to wring form F3 and F2. It's killing me that I can't sink my thumbs into "Point Lookout", the newest batch of F3 DLC.

Sadly, my reunions with my beloved possesions will be cut brutally short by another fall semester at college. My senior year, to be exact. Oh, don't worry... I won't be graduating in 2010. Neither will a lot of kids. Western Michigan University's imaging department doesn't want you to have time actually take any of the stupid gen-ed requirements they throw at you. No! That would be too easy! You're in college! You're supposed to be smart!

Yeah? Well, I'm supposed to be paying you to guide me through an educational path to a good career, not play "Let's F%#& Up Your Schedule". I swear, the federal government could learn a lot from college bureaucrats. Anyway, needed to get that off my chest. Safer than ranting about my current situation, which carries a great deal of weight on my future plans, college and beyond.

Point is, baby needs his pacifying. More than I miss my family (I'm sure their visit next week will clear that right up), I miss my stuff, my video games chiefly. That's an unhealthy dependence, isn't it? Valuing your life based on what material goods you have. But what else is there? Why do we have jobs and participate in the economy? Not mearly to just survive; we want more, we want better, and we want it now.

The rednecks down here blow off steam hunting and fishing. My hunting and fishing is a spirited game of "Left 4 Dead", Hunting Survivors and fishing up noobs with the Smoker.

Someday...

1 Comment:

Arctodus said...

Hey, everybody has their own pasttimes, no need to feel bad about the desire to play games.

I have said many times that video games are a hobby like any other. No one ever seems to say wanting to go hunting or fishing or play sports or read a book is unhealthy, but really those are just other ways to spend your down time. Now if you only wanted to play games and you needed to get every game, that could be called unhealthy.

When I am overworked and can't play video games I feel that same urge. As I see it, it is just my brain needing to take a break and have some fun.

Post a Comment

Recent Posts